viernes, 6 de julio de 2012

Sausages, Beer and Girls, whichever comes first

Here we go again, Willy and myself off on our annual jaunt. This time it’s Germany, Czech Republic, Austria and then back to Germany – they will want their car back.


True to form, I was a basket-case at Barajas Airport on Tuesday morning, having decided I was going one final mission and might never return. Bring on the Teleport. It was thanks to Lufthansa and their ravioli that I arrived in one piece in Munich. We picked up the car from Sixt – hassle-free, and headed off in to town with the aid of a new Betty (Betty is our GPS, but this one is German with a Spanish accent). Our Hotel was located somewhere central in Munich, close to the Hauptbanhof and Istanbul. It was very average( www.hotelmunich-inn.de ) but as all I needed was a clean bathroom and cleaner sheets I was happy out. Willy was trying unsuccessfully, to get his phone activated , something which frustrated him for nearly 12 hours, it’s nice to know someone else can get frustrated for 12 hours, I could go all Woody Allen, but I won’t.I couldn’t get my one brain-cell working so I was no use. By the way, I will be giving a fuller critique on the hotels and restaurants on TrypAdvisor when I get back to Madrid.

Thankfully, next day finally dawned and, after our fond farewells at the hotel, we headed of to the first to the first of the day’s stops. Dachau Concentration Camp on the outskirts of Munich.. Not the first of the Nazi’s Camps but it was the first ‘Model’ Camp where tens of thousands died through malnutrition and thousands of Russian P.O.Ws were summarily executed. This War thing will be a recurring part of the trip, and I make no apologies. We will re-trace the footsteps of some of the most evil people to walk the Earth.

Anyway, on to Nuremberg and to this beautiful, majestic, walled city, the home of Durer, beer and sausages. We stayed in the Burgschmiet Hotel ( www.hotel-burgschmiet.de ), a class place, beautiful rooms, first rate breakfast and only a stone’s- throw away from one of the most spectacular entrances into the city, through one of the big arched gates right into where Durer lived. Everything is right about his town, smashing buildings, a very laid-back vibe (sorry for that, I an over 50) and, as usual a wonderful selection of local beers, wines and food. We ate a wonderful place called Hutt’n on Bergstrasse 20, www.huetten-nuernnberg.de recommended by the lovely receptionist at the hotel. The problem is that now my snoring is back up to cruising speed, something which somehow, annoys Willy.



No hay comentarios: