miércoles, 18 de julio de 2012

Day 11, Rest day in Munich, time for beers, postcards, museums, steaks and mackeral and beers and a sausage

This is what I call a rest day, no driving or travelling and we don’t have to check out of the hotel. Willy has gone to explore the museums and I chill out in the hotel after a great breakfast with possibly the best scrambled egg I have ever tasted, well since I used to holiday in my Grandparent’s farm. Ablutions were dealt with and it was time to write postcards so I went to the bar attached to the hotel, though not really. Schmausefalle is a well-run restaurant which is obviously very popular as it was packed with the lunch crowd, www.kleineschmausefalle.de. Three glasses of beer and 31 postcards later, I’m ready to take on the town. I didn’t get far as my route into the centre took me past the Deutsches Museum, a science museum par excellence http://www.deutsches-museum.de/ and I couldn’t resist a visit to oogle over aeroplanes, boats, steam engines, and I have to go back. Time was tight and I had to move on. I threaded my way up through town, stopping at a few local bars, finding the post-office, and finally meeting up with Willy back at the ‘Augustiner’ for beers and people-watching. An incongruity of this town is the amount of Muslim women walking around in various stages of sartorial hijab in a town that worships beer and sausages.


We headed back via the Viktualienplatz a great open-air food market with bars and terrazas attached, it does close down a bit early but we hit ’Nordsee’ for some lobster and smoked mackerel, my favourite fish in the Galaxy. The wine was a bit of a rip-off but the food was top class. We went back to the hotel restaurant the afore-mentioned Schmausefalle for one of the best steaks I’ve had in months that, coupled with the local Spatenbrau and liqueurs, sent this happy camper off to bed, very happy.




No hay comentarios: