domingo, 12 de agosto de 2012

Renewing acquaintances in Santiago


Next stop was Santiago de Compostela, a truly magical city. I’ve been here before, the last time as a pilgrim on the ‘Camino’. Willy worked here for over a year and has a network of very interesting friends some of whom I’ve got to know over the years and it is always helpful to have an inside track on the local gossip. Our hosts were Xose, his charming partner Rocio, and man-about-town, bar owner, musician, actor and above all, ‘Galego hasta la medula’, Sebas. Time for a trip around town, bar hopping between showers. First stop was Plaza do Obradoiro in front of the cathedral, this is where all the pilgrims end up. We ended up in a series of bars all ‘round town, I recommend ‘O’Beiro’ for the fine selection of wines and tapas, ‘Derby’ for pure classic café atmosphere and wonderful beers, ‘Bar Tolo’ as a late-night venue, great music and for my money, better décor than ‘Morticia’ in the previous post. It also afforded me the opportunity to prove, yet again, how inept I am at ‘Futbolín’. We also had the local tapas; Octopus, ‘Tigres’(Mussells in a hot sauce), ‘Queso Tetilla’. Then, Sebas, Willy and myself ended up in a great place with a charming barmaid who I knew in another life. We ambled home for the sleep of the just.


No hay comentarios: